Episode 4 - How Do I Talk to a Child about Grief and Loss?
“Mommy, where’s Grandpa?” Oh no! The dreaded question. Discussing loss with little ones can be emotionally tricky. But what if we had a tool that could help us have healthy conversations about loss, death, and grief?
Today’s guest is Andrea Dorn, a mom, MSW, LISW-CP psychotherapist, and author of the Mindful Steps Series™. She has worked in the field with adults and children for over a decade. Our conversation is about how navigating the loss and grief process can be a challenging and unpredictable experience, especially for children, and why starting healthy conversations early with little ones about loss and grief can be helpful. We also provide tools to process those tricky emotions.
In todays episode we will discuss:
- At what age to introduce concepts like grief, loss & death
- What normalizing grief means
- What is mindfulness and different ways to practice mindfulness
- How mindfulness practices can help a child through grief
- What does mindfulness look like practically for children
- And much more!
For more information on Andrea Dorn: www.AndreaDorn.com
To purchase: When Someone Dies - A Children’s Mindful How-To Guide on Grief and Loss
FREE Mindfulness Resources | Andrea Dorn - Author
Mindful Steps Series - You Tube
Facebook: Mindful Steps - Home | Facebook
Grief and trauma resources:
Original ACE Questionnaire
The Dougy Center for Grieving Children & Families | Portland, OR
Check out our sponsors:
Find us at: www.Thisbeautifulugly.com
Follow our co-hosts:
Instagram: Shar Stephenson & Dr. Deb Harrell
Facebook: Shar Stephenson & Dr. Deb Harrell
- Blooming Bean Coffee Roasters: Use Promo cdoe TBU for 15% Discount.
- PureLightHealth.com - offering holistic solutions to help you heal and thrive since 1999.
- Superieur Electrolytes - Use Code: TBU - FREE SHIPPING - holistic-focused real sources with zero sugar, dyes or weird ingredients. Superieur Electrolytes help keep you hydrated, give you better immunity, more energy, and less muscle aches and cramps.